Saturday, January 28, 2006

digital democracy

I've written before about the democratic nature of new media: blogs, user comments, personalised content, on-demand media, bedroom producers etc. Wiki (as most famously seen at Wikipedia) is perhaps the ultimate in this. Put simply, anyone can edit a wiki site. This can lead to high levels of collaboration and accuracy, but it can also lead to grumbles about the potential for shifts in existing practices and a usurping of traditional roles (can the man on the street really be as good a journalist as the professionals?) Too much freedom can also have more damaging repercussions.

In the past I've used blogs to help my students record the development of their new media case studies but I'm now considering using wikis. At the moment I'm favouring the free seedwiki, but if you know of a better option I'd like to hear about it. Alternatively, if you're using wiki let me know.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?


Free Counters